Posted by: Mark Polk | 2013

Jeep Build – Ready for Paint

It was time to finish the bodywork on the MJ and get it ready for paint. I spent several days fixing the dings and dents while Tyler worked on sanding  the truck. Since we were changing the color it’s important that we get everything sanded, including the hard to reach places like inside the doors. I made sure that Tyler understood this needed to be done properly by making him go back and do it again. For the best paint results good prep work is essential.  

To address the tires hitting the front fenders during sharp turns I contacted Bushwacker about a set of fender flares that would cover the new wider tires. I told Bushwacker I would produce an installation video of the Bushwacker fender flares on the MJ in exchange for a set of fender flares for the Jeep Comanche. They agreed, so before we take the truck to get it painted I cut some of the sheet metal out from around the front and rear  fender wells so we can install the new fender flares right after the truck is painted. I’ll post the Bushwacker installation video as soon as as we get the truck back from paint.

MJ in primer

MJ in primer

I wrapped up the bodywork on the truck and was waiting for a nice day to spray the primer. Ed, who is painting the truck, told me to get some Mar Hyde primer for the truck. It acts as a good sealer, filling in any small scratches, it’s easy to sand and the buff color is a good base for the burnt orange base coat. Tyler saved the money for the primer so we gave the truck a final sanding using  400 grit sandpaper and washed the truck.

On the morning we planned to spray the primer we taped the truck and went over the surface with a tack cloth. I don’t have much in the way of autobody equipment and we sprayed it outside, dealing with all the elements, but we managed to spray two good coats of the Mar Hyde primer on the truck.

Final block sanding

Final block sanding

When the primer dried I dusted the entire surface with a light coat of flat black lacquer primer so I could block sand the truck and identify any imperfections in my bodywork. I’m glad I did because there were three or four spots that needed more finishing work. I  finally complted the bodywork the best I could and we lightly sanded the surface one final time in preparation to take it to Ed.

I fabricated some brackets on the front of the Jeep so we could tow it, using a tow bar, to Ed’s shop about 70 miles from my shop.

Click for next post – The Interior

Mark Polk

RV Education 101

RV Consumer

Join us on Facebook

Advertisements

Categories

%d bloggers like this: